3/4/10

The Lingotto

.



In 1916 began the construction of Lingotto (ingot) to house the Fiat factories. Created by architect Giacomo Mattè-Trucco and inspired by the Ford plant in Detroit. It includes two helicoïdal ramps, North and South, providing access for cars on the test track located on the roof of the building.



This track, simple ring and ends as a velodrome is a little over a kilometer long. When construction ends in 1922, it was at the time the largest factory in Europe and became the emblem of the Italian industry.



From this impressive industrial site dozens of car models were out of production lines as the Torpedo Fiat, Fiat 508 and Fiat 500 Topolino. The fabrications were arrested at the plant in 1982, the last model made was the Lancia Delta.

photo Elvio Patuano





It was, until its final closure, the flagship of the Fiat group. Masterfully restored by the Genovese architect Renzo Piano (Pompidou Center), he managed this transformation while maintaining the exterior of the building, which has some architectural merit,(avant garde style) the Lingotto now serve as a center for exhibitions, conferences, commercial gallery, museum and sits next to the Fiat history headquarters ...
Today the track welcome a few cars demonstrations, but we'll dream of vintage motorcycle races!!
The Scrigno (jewelry boxes) welcomes the Giovanni and Marella Agnelli (owners of Fiat) Pinacoteca
The futuristic dome houses a conference center.





.